Planning a trip to Crab Island and not sure what to pack for your day on the water? Check out our Crab Island packing list!
Crab Island Packing List
- Towels-pretty self-explanatory on this one. You will most likely be getting in the water at some point. Bring a towel to dry off. Even if you’re not planning to get wet, if you get off the boat on any beaches, towels can help whisk away the sand when you get back on the boat.
- Lotion sunscreen-You will want to protect your skin, even if it’s overcast, but sprays destroy boat upholstery. Please be kind and bring lotion sunscreen.
- Cash/card for Crab Island vendors– Mobile food boats and floating restaurants populate the sandbar and offer everything from boiled peanuts to ice cream to Crab Island t-shirts. These local businesses are a staple in Destin and part of what makes the sandbar so unique. Most will take a card, but bring cash just in case!
- Sunglasses and hat – The boats do have tops for shade, but the sun is STRONG y’all! Protect yourself!
- Cooler with ice, food, drink (alcohol is ok!) – You can no longer buy alcohol at Crab Island, but you can bring it with you if you like. Pack a cooler with whatever you need for the day (unless you plan to purchase all of your food and drinks from the Crab Island vendors).
- If required: licenses (boating and/or fishing). If you were born after Jan 1, 1988 and plan to rent a boat, you will need a Boater’s license. You can get one online here. If you plan on doing any fishing, you’ll need a license for that too.
- Football or frisbee to toss around in the shallow water
- Portable charger-keep those phones charged in case you need to call your rental company with any questions or concerns. You’ll also need it for all of those amazing Instagram pictures! (Tag us at @destinboatrentals)
- Bluetooth speaker -great for backup even if your rental boat comes with a stereo. Remember boat stereos stay outside all the time. They get wet/rained on and can malfunction.
- Floaties and extra rope to tie them to your boat
- Trash bags – it’s amazing how much trash you can generate in one day on a boat! A trash bag will help keep the clutter under control and prevent anything blowing off the boat into the water. Help keep our beautiful waters clean!