Planning a trip to Crab Island and not sure what to pack for your day on the water? Check out our Crab Island packing list!
Crab Island Packing List
- Towels-pretty self-explanatory on this one. You will most likely be getting in the water at some point. Bring a towel to dry off. Even if you’re not planning to get wet, if you get off the boat on any beaches, towels can help whisk away the sand when you get back on the boat.
- Lotion sunscreen-You will want to protect your skin, even if it’s overcast, but sprays destroy boat upholstery. Please be kind and bring lotion sunscreen.
- Cash/card for Crab Island vendors– Mobile food boats and floating restaurants populate the sandbar and offer everything from boiled peanuts to ice cream to Crab Island t-shirts. These local businesses are a staple in Destin and part of what makes the sandbar so unique. Most will take a card, but bring cash just in case!
- Sunglasses and hat – The boats do have tops for shade, but the sun is STRONG y’all! Protect yourself!
- Cooler with ice, food, drink (alcohol is ok!) – You can no longer buy alcohol at Crab Island, but you can bring it with you if you like. Pack a cooler with whatever you need for the day (unless you plan to purchase all of your food and drinks from the Crab Island vendors).
- If required: licenses (boating and/or fishing). If you were born after Jan 1, 1988 and plan to rent a boat, you will need a Boater’s license. You can get one online here. If you plan on doing any fishing, you’ll need a license for that too.
- Football or frisbee to toss around in the shallow water
- Portable charger-keep those phones charged in case you need to call your rental company with any questions or concerns. You’ll also need it for all of those amazing Instagram pictures! (Tag us at @destinboatrentals)
- Bluetooth speaker -great for backup even if your rental boat comes with a stereo. Remember boat stereos stay outside all the time. They get wet/rained on and can malfunction.
- Floaties and extra rope to tie them to your boat
- Trash bags – it’s amazing how much trash you can generate in one day on a boat! A trash bag will help keep the clutter under control and prevent anything blowing off the boat into the water. Help keep our beautiful waters clean!
I live in Austin, Texas and Destin Florida is a must visit on my “to do” list! I will definitely keep this spots in mind. Do you know if there is a spot where we can swim with Dolphins in Destin Florida?
Don’t know about Destin but Panama City has Gulf World you can swim with the Dolphins. A great place and friendly staff.
Are there any restrooms around to use
There are restrooms on site at every rental facility for use before/after, and you are welcome to come back to the dock if needed. There are also public marinas where you can pull up to as well. If having a bathroom on the boat with you at Crab Island is a must, there are a few tour boats that have them and you might look into doing a Crab Island excursion instead of a boat rental.
Are floats accessible at crab island or should you bring your own?
There are vendors who sell and rent floats at Crab island. The Crab Island Information Center on the Harbor also sells floats if you want to pick some up on your way to your boat. Hope that helps!