Destin, Florida: The World’s Luckiest Fishing Village
Let’s be honest: this post could just as easily include 105 reasons to fish in Destin. Destin, known as The World’s Luckiest Fishing Village, offers a wealth of incredible features that make it the perfect spot for fishing of any kind. But, alas, 105 reasons would make for a ridiculously long article, and besides, you probably have some packing to do…
A Word about Fishing Licenses
Before we take our brief journey through the top 5 reasons Destin makes an incredible fishing destination, just a heads-up that you will need a fishing license from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for just about any type of fishing on your own, whether you are fishing from shore or from a rental boat. You can pick one up at any local bait & tackle or sporting goods store, or though a new app available for Apple, Windows, and Android phones. I personally like the app because it allows you to store the license on your phone and also includes data about the ever-changing local fishing regulations, tides, sunrise/sunset times, and news. You can find it by searching ‘FWC’ in the App Store or on Google Play. For non-Florida residents, expect to pay about $17 for a 3-day fishing license.
If you decide on booking a fishing charter instead of going it alone, fishing licenses are already covered under the captain’s license, so you can forego having to get one of your own. You can read more about (and book) Destin fishing charters here.
Now, on to the good stuff…
The Top 5 reasons why Destin, Florida can be found at the top of any fisherman (or woman)’s list!
1. Geographical features– Once you visit Destin and spend some time on the sugar white sands and emerald green waters, you’ll notice that Mother Nature seems to have spent a little more time on this part of the country. But the beauty isn’t just on the surface! Destin’s underwater topography is just as unique, and the relatively shallow waters of the Gulf of Mexico coastline drastically drop off a mere 12 miles from shore at the famed “100-fathom curve”. A look at any nautical map will show you that Destin’s quick access to the deepest depths of the Gulf is unique to the area. Nearby ports are not nearly as lucky and the trip from shore to deep water takes much longer from other locations. Because various species of fish live at different depths, what this means for Destin fishermen is that they can reach all depths of fishable water for every Gulf species quicker that in any other location along the Gulf.
But maybe “deep-sea fishing” isn’t your thing. Not to worry: Destin offers plenty of opportunities for inshore and nearshore fishing as well! The Choctawhatchee Bay boasts miles of coastline and abundant marine life for fishing the flats and shallows. You can rent or charter a boat for a day and find more fishing spots that you could fish in a lifetime.
2. Historical significance– Destin was actually discovered (and settled) by fishermen, who no doubt found the geography of the area to be favorable. Captain Leonard Destin arrived in Destin in 1835. In those times, there were no powerboats, no rods and reels, and not even ice to preserve their catch. Fishing was done mainly with seine nets from the shore. Though times were tough, the fishermen were able to survive, and as the years went by and fishing methods improved, the opportunities increased and fishing became the trade of choice for the area. Many of our local charter boat captains, my own family included, have been fishing the Destin area for generations and possess an unparalleled wealth of knowledge of both the area and the fishing industry.
3. Award-Winning Fishing– I mean, if you’re planning a fishing trip, you might as well hit the area known as the World’s Luckiest Fishing Village AND the Billfish Capital of the Northern Gulf, right? Destin has been title-holder to both of these names over the years-and it’s no wonder why, between its proximity to deep water and the abundant marine life just offshore. And with the largest and most elaborately equipped charter fishing fleet in Florida, Destin also holds many fishing tournaments each year, including the famous Destin Fishing Rodeo, which takes place the entire month of October each year.
4. Wealth of Niche Fishing Opportunities-it’s been jokingly said that there are more charter boats in Destin than there are people who live in Destin, which means there are opportunities for all types of fishing, whether it’s inshore, nearshore, deepsea, fly, surf, kayak, bow or spear fishing, you can find a boat for just about every type of niche fishing experience in Destin, and the ability to target just about any type of species of fish!
5. Variety of fishing options for all budgets- Fishing is also accessible for all types of budgets. Whether you are looking to take a few fishing poles to the beach to fish from shore, buy a ticket on a party fishing boat to head out for some group fishing, rent your own fishing boat, or are ready to plan the all-inclusive luxury charter fishing experience of a lifetime, Destin also has many opportunities for all types of budgets!
And, there you have it: our Top 5 reasons why Destin should be at the top of your list of fishing destinations to try this year. If you would like to book a fishing charter or rent a fishing boat, give us a call at (850) 650-2628. We always love hearing from you. Now off you go, that plane ticket isn’t going to book itself…