One of my favorite things about Destin is that it has always been a family-friendly destination. Destin has gone to great lengths to discourage the type of party-oriented high school and college Spring Breakers who are known to frequent other beach towns, and it’s apparent when the throngs of families show up each Spring Break to relax on the beautiful beaches that we are lucky enough to be able to call home. But Destin offers so much more to do beyond the beach.
If you’re looking for some family friendly Spring Break activities in Destin, you’ve come to the right place! Here are 10 things to do with your family while you’re on Spring Break in Destin:
- Beach-With 24 miles of sugar white sands and emerald green waters; you’d be a fool not to hit the beach. Laying on the sand, starting up a beach football or volleyball game, or surfing the waves are fun activities the whole family can enjoy! Spring Break can get crowded, so if you are looking for a quieter alternative, check out Henderson Beach State Park. There is a small fee ($6) per vehicle to get into the park, which helps keep the college kids away. The public restrooms and picnic pavilions are a nice touch as well!
- Boat Rental-You can rent a fishing, pontoon, power boat, or double decker pontoon with slides and spend the day on the water. Destin Vacation Boat Rentals offer a variety of boats with different options to help you get the most enjoyment out of your time on the water. Go fishing in the bay or the gulf, visit Crab Island, sightsee for dolphins, or pull up and drop anchor along the Gulf Islands National Seashore and spend a leisurely afternoon hunting for shells, hermit crabs, and other marine life.
- Jet ski rental– Satisfy your need for speed with an exhilarating jet ski ride in the bay. The whole family can enjoy the thrill of racing across the top of the water on jet skis, or for those wanting a more leisurely pace for sightseeing and dolphin watching, check out our guided waverunner dolphin tours. (Please note we require anyone who drives the jet ski to be 18 years of age or older, with a minimum age of 6 to ride . Click here for more information on jet ski rental requirements.)
- Fishing trip– Destin is known as the World’s Luckiest Fishing Village. Why not try your luck and rent a fishing boat or hire a fishing charter to get you out to where the fish are biting! You can fish for flounder, speckled trout, sheepshead, redfish, and spanish mackerel in the bay or go after snapper, cobia, and amberjack in the gulf. Many local restaurants on the Destin Harbor also offer to cook your catch for you for a fee.
- Sandcastle lessons-Beach Sand Sculptures offers family-friendly sandcastle lessons that are fun for all ages. Who WOULDN’T want to learn how to create a masterpiece in the sand like this?
- Adventure Tour – Get out on the water and enjoy a boat ride and dolphin tour, as you cruise to the Aquatic Adventure Zone, where you will spend the day playing on an inflatable slide or trampoline, kayaking in a clear-bottom kayak, paddleboarding, and snorkeling on this all-inclusive 4 hour adventure tour that is guaranteed to wear you out!
- Fat Daddy’s Arcade-A great indoor alternative should it happen to rain during your stay (or should you need a break from the sun). Fat Daddy’s is the local equivalent to Chuck E Cheese, minus the big mouse and his friends, and features over 100 different games that can keep you entertained for hours. Games award tickets that can be redeemed for prizes.
- Gulfarium. We love seeing marine animals up close, and the Gulfarium is the perfect place to do just that! Interact with dolphins, penguins, sharks, otters, sea lions, and more at this family-friendly marine facility located on Okaloosa Island, just minutes from Destin.
- Gator Beach-The iconic Destin restaurant Fudpucker’s has live alligators that you can watch and even feed (from a nice, safe distance!). You can even get your picture taken holding a live baby alligator, which makes a perfect souvenir!
- Laser Tag-located in the upstairs portion of Sunsations Beach Store on Highway 98 in Destin is an indoor glo-light mini golf and laser tag business. Another great rainy day activity, and conveniently located right next door to Fat Daddy’s, Fudpucker’s, and Gator Beach.
- Beach Bonfire – Royal Palm Grille offers free beach bonfires every Monday and Friday night. The fire starts at sunset and all ages are welcome to attend (no outside food and drink allowed). If you’d rather do a private bonfire, there are many companies who will set one up for you for a fee (permits are required, don’t DIY!).
- Escape Room – Escape Rooms are all the rage and we have several located in and around Destin. Enjoy a family team-building experience by trying to solve the clues and escape your themed room in the allotted time.
- Parasailing – Enjoy breathtaking views of the Emerald Coast as you fly high above the water when you go parasailing. An unforgettable experience that everyone has to try at least once!
- The Track– Go karts, bumper cars, bumper boats, kiddie rides, roller coasters, and miniature golf. This place is fun, fun, fun for the young- and the young at heart!
- Sunset Cruises – Charter a catamaran to watch the sunset. Pack a picnic dinner and sightsee for dolphins as your family enjoys the views and the feel of the wind as you sail the coastline. The perfect ending to a perfect day in Destin.